[Bioperl-l] PMC and EUtilities, was bioperl::db

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 30 15:15:16 UTC 2007

Bernd,

As a pretext to this discussion, I am in the middle of refactoring
EUtilities; the next incarnation should have a similar API but will
likely set parameters via simpler methods (no need for all the getter/
setters).

You'll likely have to parse out the tags yourself, AFAIK there is no
BioPerl XML parser for PMC XML and a quick grep search turns up
nothing but PubMed parsers.  If you aren't familiar with XML parsing
you could try XML::Simple to get at what you want.  I would pass the
XML in as small chunks (maybe by retrieving them in batches of 100 or
less) and initially use Data::Dumper to determine the data structure
XML::Simple returns (PMC XML has attributes and elements, so the
structure will be more complex).  Then just iterate through articles
and grab what you want.

I think the predominant portion of articles in PubMed Central are
free full-text access (if not all):

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/about/faq.html#q9

You can retrieve them via ftp:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/pmc

which contains an index file of all articles and their dir. location
(the readme gives more info).

chris