[Bioperl-l] error while remote blast against swissprot db

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 16 03:51:05 UTC 2007

This sounds like a similar issue that popped up a few weeks ago
related to URLAPI changes for remote BLAST access.  That was fixed on
NCBI's end but I also added a fix to RemoteBlast in CVS that works as
well.

Saying that, my guess is the same as Dave's, that there are
connectivity issues.  What happens when you set the RemoteBlast
factory to a verbosity of 1?  This will spill out debugging output
from the repeated queries to the NCBI server (so if there are
problems they'll show up there).

my $factory = Bio::Tools::Run::RemoteBlast->new(
                                 '-prog'  => 'blastp',
                                 '-data' => 'swissprot',
                                  _READMETHOD => "Blast",
                                  -verbose => 1    # debugging output
                          );

If you see the BLAST report but get the same error try using the
RemoteBlast in CVS to see if it fixes the problem.

chris