[Bioperl-l] Tests involving remote databases

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 30 05:01:06 UTC 2006

I'm not sure how Bio::Root::HTTPget deals with errors, but you can
test for several conditions when using LWP (success, error, etc) and
throw an error accordingly.  So you could possibly test $@ with a
regex for the error message, pass/fail tests based on that, followed
by skipping further tests.  Test::More has like/unlike to deal with
that; you could use plain regex using Test.pm.

SKIP:{
   skip('Set BIOPERLDEBUG=1 to run tests which require remote DB
access', 5)
       if !$DEBUG;
   my $db = Bio::DB::GenBank->new();
   my $seq;
   eval { $seq = $db->get_Seq_by_acc('ABC123')};
   if ($@) {
       # test to make sure the URL is unreachable
       like{$@, qr{bad hostname}, 'URL test'};
       # must skip tests regardless, anyway
       skip('Bio::DB::GenBank URL problem', 4);
   } else {
       ok(!$@, 'Bio::DB::GenBank URL test');
   }
   ... # four more tests based on $seq
}

Caveat: haven't tried the above in the real world, but it should work.

Having a set of instructions for tests is a good idea, maybe
something for the wiki and developers, similar to Torsten's Best
Practices page.  Working code from tests would be a good start.

chris