[Bioperl-l] Do we need Bio::Root::Object anymore?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Fri Sep 29 06:58:21 UTC 2006

Torsten Seemann wrote:
> Chris Fields directed us to a previous post by Hilmar Lapp where he was
> organizing the transfer of Bio::Root::Object to Bio::Root:RootI/Root:
>
> http://bioperl.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2001-January/004854.html
>
> I have removed all use/@ISA Bio::Root::Object references from
> bioperl-live, except for those in Bio::Root::* itself:
>
> Bio/Root/Err.pm
> Bio/Root/Global.pm
> Bio/Root/IOManager.pm
> Bio/Root/Object.pm
> Bio/Root/RootI.pm
> Bio/Root/Utilities.pm
> Bio/Root/Vector.pm
> Bio/Root/Xref.pm
>
> Can any developers from <= 2001 advise on the role of Object.pm in these
> classes?

Well, according to a comment in Bio::Root::Object:

#
# This object is deprecated as the root of the inheritance tree, but some
# modules depend on it as a legacy. We issue a deprecation warning for all
# other modules.
#
my @inheriting_modules = ('Bio::Root::Object',
			  'Bio::Root::IOManager');

Nothing seems to use IOManager (except Object), and its also redundant.
So I'd say they're both relics that can be removed. In fact I was
planning on getting rid off all references to both of these modules
before you did, so thanks! :)