[Bioperl-l] dependencies in Makefile.PL

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 26 14:52:42 UTC 2006

Just to note, there are several Bundle-* packages available via PPM;
Bundle-Test, Bundle-WikiConverter, and others.  It is entirely possible to
create a Bundle-Bioperl PPM if the packages are all available as a PPM on
one repository or another.  And, I can personally attest, every one is
either available or can be made into a PPM.

We should keep Bundle::Bioperl, at least for now.  Using Bundle::Bioperl
enables you to split modules into 'required' prereqs vs. 'optional' ones.
The Bundle::Bioperl description in CPAN seems to indicate this:

http://search.cpan.org/~craffi/Bundle-BioPerl-2.1.5/BioPerl.pm

NOTE: This Bundle does not install BioPerl :) Just the additional modules
that BioPerl code ocasionally makes use of. You will still need to get the
BioPerl distribution from CPAN or http://bioperl.org and install it the
usual way...

So, it's basically a convenient way to get full Bioperl functionality.

The missing WinXP PPMs not present on any repository that can be made into a
PPM are:

Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene (needed for Bio::SeqIO::entrezgene)
Class::AutoClass (which may be removed at some point)

There may be a few more, but I think those two are it.  They both work based
on 'nmake test'.

GD::SVG is available on the bioperl repository.  A few more
Bioperl::Bundle-related PPM's, like Text::ShellWords, can be found here
(note that a newer Bioperl core PPM is also here):

http://www.gmod.org/ggb/ppm/

We could also make PPM distributions for bioperl-run, bioperl-db,
bioperl-network, etc, if requested.  I wouldn't attempt bioperl-ext,
though...

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry