[Bioperl-l] dependencies in Makefile.PL

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 25 21:07:41 UTC 2006

There are binary versions of libgd and expat available for ActivePerl and
Win32 (which tends to be the most troublesome platform).  If you install
GD.pm and XML::SAX::Expat using PPM, precompiled binary versions of both are
installed along with the perl modules.  It's not as easy to update to the
most current versions, but I have GD, expat, libxml2, and a few others, all
of which work wonderfully.

The really tough ones are the bioperl-ext XS modules.  I never managed to
get that working on Windows (and I don't plan on killing myself over trying
to get it running anytime soon).  It does work under Cygwin, though, or at
least the install docs indicate so.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry