[Bioperl-l] Are Bio::DB::XEMBL and Bio::DB::XEMBLService still valid?

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Sat Sep 23 19:41:52 UTC 2006

Folks,

While validating URLs in the source tree I've found that these 2 modules
make use of addresses that are no longer valid:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/XEMBL
http://www.ebi.ac.uk:80/cgi-bin/xembl/XEMBL-SOAP.pl

Searching for the XEMBL service to update them, I've noticed that the
service itself has been changed to offer new functionality:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/xembl/
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/xembl/oldindex.html

Browsing through the commit history for this 2 modules, I've found that
the last *real* changes for them were made 3-4 years ago. Its test
output confirms my idea that this modules no longer work:

[bioperl at nordwand] ~/src/bioperl-live % perl -I. -w t/XEMBL_DB.t
1..9
ok 1
ok 2 # server may be down
ok 3 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests
ok 4 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests
ok 5 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests
ok 6 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests
ok 7 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests
ok 8 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests
ok 9 # Cannot run XEMBL_DB tests

I've searched through the mailing lists archives and nobody has reported
them as non functional. Does anybody have the time to look into this?

Regards,
Mauricio.

--
MAURICIO HERRERA CUADRA
arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Laboratorio de Genética
Unidad de Morfofisiología y Función
Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, UNAM