[Bioperl-l] Optional 'circular dependency' ok?

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Wed Sep 20 04:32:17 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Sendu Bala wrote:
[snip]
>> Aren't there already optional things in Bioperl that only begin to
>> work
>> after you read the instructions and manually install something? Well,
>> there must be, since I've had to do exactly that to get all tests
>> in the
>> suite to run (and not just skip).
>
> There shouldn't be!  All dependencies should be found in the
> Makefile.PL and listed in the INSTALL file dependencies.  Using 'perl
> Makefile.PL' doesn't force you to install them, but it does warn you
> what Bioperl classes require them if they aren't present.

There shouldn't be, but they actually happen to exist. An example of
this is the use of Regexp::Common in the
bioperl-live/maintenance/check_URLs.pl script. Even though this script
is supposed to be used only by developers, it introduces the condition
that Sendu describes.

Other examples are version and Class::Inspector which are used by the
Deobfuscator. These 3 dependencies haven't been added to the main
Makefile.PL due to the intended use of the scripts that require them.