[Bioperl-l] Cleanup of BioPerl distribution website

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 17 22:17:13 UTC 2006

> OK, I'll have a look into this sometime this week. Shall I go for a
> prereqs of Perl 5.6.1? That way I'll ensure I do tests on a virtual
> machine with a fresh install of Perl in order to check that
> dependencies are satisfied. Should the test suite should show up
> any dependencies that aren't satisfied or would the be silently
> skipped? I'll also try to check multiple Perl versions from
> whatever minimal version you suggest.
>
> What exactly should/needs to go into Bundle::Bioperl and why is it
> needed?
>
> Nath

I had mentioned to Chris D. recently that we may add a few
dependencies.  XML::Simple is needed by Bio::DB::EUtilities.  There
are several more that are present on the wiki:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/
Installing_Bioperl_for_Unix#DEPENDENCIES_AND_Bundle::BioPerl

I have a feeling that not all of them are in Bundle::Bioperl yet.

At some point we should think about adding a script to the PPM
distro, similar to Makefile.PL, that checks dependencies and installs
scripts.  This currently works using 'perl Makefile.PL' so there
should some way of doing this (I thought this may be present in an
old bioperl ppm package but I may be wrong.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry