[Bioperl-l] Cleanup of BioPerl distribution website

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 17 04:01:27 UTC 2006

Mauricio,

I personally don't have a problem with the changes.  Bioperl 1.5 had
serious problems anyway.  It's a shame we don't have a 1.5.1 ppm but
when we release 1.5.2 we'll add one to DIST.  Nathan, what do you think?

When I make up a local ppm package for installation on WinXP, I
maunally edit the XML generated (the ppd file) to make it more
consistent with my local distribution, including modifying the
prereqs.  I think we can also include an installation script with the
ppm (which I haven't played around with, but Scott Cain has done this
with the Generic Genome Browser PPM package).  When we start making
release candidates I can try packaging everything up for Windows and
have you add it to the main directory, then modify the package.lst to
point to the newer ppms as well as Text::ShellWords and GD::SVG.  We
can have the old package.lst (in old_releases) point at the older
distributions.

Chris

On Sep 16, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Mauricio Herrera Cuadra wrote:

> Nathan & Chris,
>
> I've taken a look into Bioperl.ppd and it uses bioperl-1.5-
> ppm.tar.gz which according to the ppd file corresponds to the 1.5.0
> release, so I renamed Bioperl.ppd to Bioperl-1.5.ppd and moved both
> of them into 'old_releases'.
>
> I've also edited all ppd files in 'old_releases' to modify their
> CODEBASE HREF's to the new locations. Copied package.lst into
> 'old_releases' and modified this also.
>
> The original package.lst in 'DIST' was copied to package.lst.old as
> a backup, so I could edit the first one to reflect directory moves.
> Also generated new signature files for both directories.
>
> Please take a look and tell me if all of this changes make sense.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauricio.
>
> Chris Fields wrote:
>> There was a post on list recently about problems using the newer
>> PPM  GUI that comes with ActivePerl 5.8.819 (it wanted to
>> downgrade all  installed prereq modules already installed).  I
>> haven't tried it  myself.  I did find that the newer bioperl PPM
>> (v. 1.5) didn't show  up when I last used the command-line PPM for
>> ActivePerl 5.8.817, so  maybe package.lst needs to be updated.
>> We can probably leave the PPM related stuff for now.  I'm not
>> sure  whether anyone would be interested in having access to the
>> older ones  but we could probably make them available in the sub
>> directory with a  modified package.lst.
>> We'll try getting a PPM for Windows for the next developer
>> release  and add it then.
>> Chris

>>> Bioperl.ppd and bioperl-1.5-ppm.tar.gz are the files required
>>> for  users
>>> wishing to install Bioperl 1.5 via ppm (i.e. mainly windows
>>> users).  The
>>> same is true for GD-SVG* files which allow these users to install
>>> this
>>> module which if i remember correctly is required by
>>> Bio::Graphics::*. If
>>> i do remember correctly, this package wasn't available in any of the
>>> standard ppm repositories so was created just for the windows
>>> ppm  users.
>>> They should probably be kept where they are at least until newer
>>> releases are created for these two modules.
>>>
>>> I think package.lst is required by the ppm software to identify the
>>> packages in the current directory/repository. This should be
>>> updated to
>>> contain only those packages in the same directory as this file. A
>>> new
>>> one then probably needs to be created for the old_releases
>>> directory.
>>> Someone may have a better idea of this, especially since ActiveState
>>> have been updating the ppm software etc, so feel free to correct
>>> me if
>>> needs be!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Nathan