[Bioperl-l] Cleanup of BioPerl distribution website

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Sat Sep 16 21:03:53 UTC 2006

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I've done the initial moves and created new signature files for each
> directory. Currently I've doubts on what to do with the following files:
>
> - Bioperl.ppd            (what does this stands for?)
> - GD-SVG-0.25-ppm.tar.gz (where does this came from?)
> - GD-SVG.ppd             (where does this came from?)
> - bioperl-1.5-ppm.tar.gz (1.5.0 or 1.5.1 release?)
> - package.lst            (still in use? needs updating? be splitted into
>                            corresponding subdirectories?)
>
> Cheers,
> Mauricio.

Bioperl.ppd and bioperl-1.5-ppm.tar.gz are the files required for users
wishing to install Bioperl 1.5 via ppm (i.e. mainly windows users). The
same is true for GD-SVG* files which allow these users to install this
module which if i remember correctly is required by Bio::Graphics::*. If
i do remember correctly, this package wasn't available in any of the
standard ppm repositories so was created just for the windows ppm users.
They should probably be kept where they are at least until newer
releases are created for these two modules.

I think package.lst is required by the ppm software to identify the
packages in the current directory/repository. This should be updated to
contain only those packages in the same directory as this file. A new
one then probably needs to be created for the old_releases directory.
Someone may have a better idea of this, especially since ActiveState
have been updating the ppm software etc, so feel free to correct me if
needs be!

Cheers
Nathan