[Bioperl-l] t/SeqIO.t -- improvements?

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers-institute.org
Thu Sep 7 18:16:18 UTC 2006

Jey, et al,

I like this idea and have wondered the same in the past.

I have sometimes done exactly what Jay is suggesting:  I code a script,
validate its output independently, and then save the 'validated' output
as reference for future tests.  For instance, I wrote a script TFBSscan
(basically a wrapper around TFBS modules) whose test.t looks like this:

use Test::More tests => 6;

my $diff;

#./TFBSscan --notag_db --DBmatrix JASPAR=PFM:ID:MA0026,MA0100,MA0002
./t/testseqs.fasta > ./t/t1.out &
# I manaully validated ./t/t1.out, so, now lets it the basis for a test:
$diff = `TFBSscan --notag_db --DBmatrix
JASPAR=PFM:ID:MA0026,MA0100,MA0002 ./t/testseqs.fasta | diff ./t/t1.out
- `;
ok (! $diff, 'JASPAR') or  diag("here's the unexpected difference
:\n$diff");

etc, etc...

I figured that there are some useful abstractions one could put on top
of this, perhaps in another Test:: module, but I've not seen it.

I'm curious in general as to others' approaches to this both in BioPerl
project and elsewhere.

Cheers,

Malcolm