[Bioperl-l] Bioperl versioning

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Oct 23 13:59:23 UTC 2006

Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> That's the user point of view - how does the developer actually tell
>>> CPAN that something is a developer release so that normal users don't
>>> automatically install it?
>> I found this:
>> http://www.atrixnet.com/PM/So-You-Want-to-Contribute-to-The-CPAN.ppt
>>
>> Is says that $VERSION should simply be changed from a naked number into
>> a single quoted number and this should be recognized by the CPAN indexer.
>
> <http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.8/pod/perlmodstyle.pod#Version_numbering>

Thanks for that.

I guess from that the 1.5.2 version number should be:

$VERSION = 1.05_02

And 1.6 would be

$VERSION = 1.06

But will this cause a problem wrt 1.4? 1.4 has:

$VERSION = 1.4;

Is 1.4 lower than 1.06? Should we keep to a single digit version, so
1.5_02 and 1.6? Does this really not work with CPAN? Should we call them
version fifty and version sixty? 1.50_02, 1.60?