[Bioperl-l] EUtilities term handling

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 5 21:11:06 UTC 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Sendu Bala wrote:
>
>> If you think I'm stupid, fine, but I'm probably not the only stupid
>> person on the planet.
>
> That's a great suggestion that I hope we can all agree on? I'll
> happily count myself among the stupid ones too so you're not alone,
> and stupid people and even more so those who are lucky enough not
> to be stupid have an obligation to document stuff so that even the
> stupid can understand, no matter how silly the documentation might
> get.
>
> Is that agreeable without causing yet more progressive hair loss?
>
> Actually - I'm having second thoughts. Isn't it a distinguishing
> feature of stupid people that - among other things - they are
> stupid enough to believe they don't need to read documentation? You
> admitted publicly that you read documentation - are you just faking
> the stupid?
>
> 	-hilmar

If lack of good documentation == stupid, I know of a few other
modules in trouble besides mine.  Based on that we're in for a whole
lot of stupid!  And I feel stupid for my earlier remarks, Sendu, so
apologies.

And Hilmar, you're too late on the hair loss, at least on my end.

I have corrected the EUtilities POD to reflect that all text input
needs to be raw as URI encoding is done in the module, which should
work (I think).  I plan on committing it tonight.  It also indicates
that EUtilities search queries need to be made as if they are regular
Entrez queries.  Would that be sufficient?

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry