[Bioperl-l] release timetable

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 30 16:13:58 UTC 2006

> Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> > How can I get the test output from CPAN to go to a log file
> so I can
> > look at the errors more closely?
>
> I don't know about log files, but you can configure the cmd
> window to have a large history and then just copy/paste the results.
>
> You can also go into the directory that CPAN extracted the
> archive to and run the tests there manually.
>
> Please send me the results of those tests.

Like Sendu, I usually copy from the buffer in the terminal window when
running from CPAN (you can set the buffer size for Windows cmd.exe).  When
running tests manually, I may redirect all output to a temp file, which is a
bit easier to scan through since it doesn't wrap text like a cut&paste from
the terminal:

# Mac OS X
./Build tests &> results.txt

# WinXP
Build tests > results.txt 2>&1

With Windows I find it sometimes easier to just redirect STDOUT, to avoid
all of the 'Subroutine x redefined' warnings.

If the CPAN tests go to STDERR you could try redirectly only that stream to
a temp file.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry