[Bioperl-l] Translating alternate start codons

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Tue Nov 21 16:16:01 UTC 2006

> From: Brian Osborne [mailto:bosborne11 at verizon.net]
>
> Amir,
>
> The best documentation for translate() is in the online
> Bioperl Tutorial,
> have you checked that?
>
> Brian O.

Thanks for the quick response. The tutorial is quite informative.
It seems to me that the POD needs to document -complete more thoroughly,
though:

                  Or if you expect a complete coding sequence (CDS)
translation,
                  with inititator at the beginning and terminator at the
end:

                  $protein_seq_obj = $cds_seq_obj->translate(-complete
=> 1);

This doesn't really explain what it does.

I guess -complete was chosen as a compromise between having too many
options and having lots of functionality. In my case, I want to keep the
*, and I don't want warnings about terminators in the middle, because
I've got a bunch of pseudogenes. So I'll just translate the M myself.

I'm sure you've had many "the documentation is spread out in too many
places" discussions before, and I know keeping docs up to date is Hard.
Oh well.

-Amir