[Bioperl-l] No more Makefile.PL (MakeMaker -> Module::Build)

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Nov 15 18:15:48 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Stefan Kirov wrote:
>
>> I personally like the idea. Why not have both for this release to
>> ensure smooth transition? Sendu, would having Makefile.PL (I mean
>> the old one) along with the build script be a problem?
[snip]
> Sounds like a good compromise to me.  Like I said, the only problem I
> had is introducing something drastically new after three RCs (and
> just prior to a final release; I think Sendu wanted to release the
> final 1.5.2 next week, just before Thanksgiving here.).  There is no
> problem though if we have the old Makefile.PL to fall back to for
> this release.  In fact, you could remove it from HEAD when needed;
> the file still exists on the 1.5.2 branch, right?

I think the compromise isn't worth it. The old Makefile.PL is just too
inadequate and I don't want to support it. Build.pl is simply far too
superior and I really want all users to be using it.

I've now made the changeover in HEAD for core only (so far).

Can people please try it out, especially wrt to installation in default
and user-specified locations?

First, clean out your system of the old Makefile.PL stuff:
perl Makefile.PL
make clean
rm Makefile.PL Makefile.old
cvs update -d -P

Now try out the new Build.PL:
perl Build.PL
./Build test
./Build install

Try out other things:
http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build/lib/Module/Build.pm

You'll notice you don't have a Makefile.PL anymore. Distributions will
include one, and as a cvs user you can generate one by:
./Build manifest
./Build distmeta

Now you can try out the things you used to be able to do:
make test
make install

Please let me know how you get on,
Sendu.