[Bioperl-l] Help needed urgently

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 15 17:00:05 UTC 2006

> I wish to fetch consensus sequence and the names of the trace
> (chromat)
> files used in the assembly from the .ace file
>
> For this purpose, I am using Bio::Assembly::IO. But I am unable to
> find the
> appropriate methods which would enable me to fetch this information.
>

> Note:
>
> The BS line (base segment) in the .ace file indicates which read
> phrap has
> chosen to be the consensus at a particular position.
>
> For example:
>
> BS 1 515 K26-572c gives
>
> BS <padded start consensus position> <padded end consensus
> position> <read
> name> respectively.
>

> How do I retrieve this information contig wise?
>
> Kindly help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sayali D Salodkar

It looks like the relevant part of the Bio::Assembly::IO::ace parser
responsible for parsing this is commented out:

#	/^BS (\d+) (\d+) (\S+)/ && do {
#	    if (exists($self->{'contigs'}[$contig]{'reads'}{$3}
{'segments'})) {
#		$self->{'contigs'}[$contig]{'reads'}{$3}{'segments'} .= " " . $1 .
" " . $2;
#	    } else { $self->{'contigs'}[$contig]{'reads'}{$3}{'segments'} =
$1 . " " . $2 }
#	};

I'm not sure why to be honest as I'm not very familiar with the
Bio::Assembly.  Have you tried removing the comments to see what
happens?

You could file a bug report noting this using Bugzilla:

http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer