[Bioperl-l] No more Makefile.PL (MakeMaker -> Module::Build)

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Fri Nov 10 10:15:41 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Since I'm seeing inadequacies with the current Makefile.PL scripts we
have, I'm thinking of converting from ExtUtils::MakeMaker and the
Makefile.PL scripts to Module::Build Build.PL scripts.

The advantages this will bring would be creation and installation of
documentation, sane handling of required and optional dependencies, and
hopefully good META.yml output, for CPAN compatibility wrt version numbers.

I'll be able to use Module::Build::Compat to automatically generate
Makefile.PL scripts in 'passthrough' style (if an end-user tries to use
Makefile.PL without having Module::Build installed, it will offer to
install Module::Build for them) when it comes time to make
distributions, but Makefile.PL would no longer be in CVS.

One thing I'm not clear on with the current situation is what is
supposed to happen when the user chooses to install scripts. Where are
they supposed to get installed to, and where do end-users normally run
them from and how? How does this compare to expectations from other perl
module distributions that have installable scripts?

Please comment and discuss, but I'd like to get this done for the 1.5.2
release so that the CPAN distribution will be happy.