[Bioperl-l] StandAloneFasta::version

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Tue Nov 7 18:27:27 UTC 2006

i think it is important - we just have not had a dedicated developer
who enforced these requirements by auditing the code.  I had tried to
establish a standard through WrapperBase but some contributions
ignored this and some modules had grown up before the wrapperbase was
in place.  I also think the ontology of applications is a bit screwed
up so people were putting modules in directories willy-nilly.  I
think bioperl-run is even more cat-herding than the other aspects of
the project because applications change and there are very many
combinations of parameters and version of applications.  There was a
flurry of contributions and no good way to marshall them initially.

So what to do - I guess make do with how it is but not rename
anything at this point but try and standardize things - it will
depend on your desire to really take this on.

The PISE modules may need to be re-evaluated to insure they are still
working - there was hope that some of them could be simplified
through some automated class generation from the XML they are based
on, but that was never developed.

We will try and a have an open-bio linux server available as a
platform where we can have a consistent testing environment but I am
not sure if we want this to represent every possible version of apps
or just the most recent.

-jason