[Bioperl-l] StandAloneFasta::version

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Nov 7 17:49:09 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
>> Well, how would you 'require' them to use anything at all? There's not
>> even anything 'requiring' that a core module inherit from
>> Bio::Root::Root(I). We just (very strongly) advise that you inherit from
>> there. So we can also advise that bioperl-run wrappers do not roll their
>> own but use Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase.
>
> Like I said, it's a suggestion.  No need to get snippy.

You took that completely the wrong way. I am applying absolutely no
value judgment on your suggestion. It may be an excellent one. I was
simply explaining we have no programmatic way of requiring that modules
use other modules - we rely on people following the advice/ status quo.

Given that, are you still suggesting that it would be better to advise
people to use Bio::Root::SomeNewRunThing, or is
Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase satisfactory?