[Bioperl-l] StandAloneFasta::version

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Nov 7 17:25:22 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:
>
>>> Almost wonder if it would be easier to have all bioperl-run modules
>>> have a Run-specific Root object for common methods, regardless of the
>>> other interfaces used.  Maybe something inheriting Bio::Root::Root...
>>
>> What's wrong with Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase ?
>
> I agree that WrapperBase fulfills most of this functionality.  However,
> don't a few bioperl-run wrappers 'roll their own', i.e. not implement
> WrapperBase?  Requiring all bioperl-run module inherit the same
> Run-specific base object would integrate them a bit more and distinguish
> them from the core modules (which would inherit Bio::Root::Root).
> Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

Well, how would you 'require' them to use anything at all? There's not
even anything 'requiring' that a core module inherit from
Bio::Root::Root(I). We just (very strongly) advise that you inherit from
there. So we can also advise that bioperl-run wrappers do not roll their
own but use Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase.