[Bioperl-l] Question: How to manipulate files

Brian Osborne osborne1 at optonline.net
Thu Mar 30 02:16:45 UTC 2006

Michael,

Operations like these are easy using SeqIO - see the Beginners HOWTO or the
SeqIO HOWTO:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTOs

The script could look something like:

use Bio::SeqIO;

my $count = 0;
my $in = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => "file.fa",-format => "fasta");
my $out = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => ">newfile.fa",-format => "fasta");

while (my $seq = $in->next_seq) {
    $count++;
    next if $count < 8;
    $out->write_seq($seq);
}

Then you can delete the old and rename the new...

Brian O.