[Bioperl-l] error

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 28 14:48:34 UTC 2006

Sonmitra,

I tried the script from your attachment last time and it worked fine (I had
no problems, got results from a BLAST hit), and I'm running bioperl updated
from CVS.  The CVS repository has recently changed, so I'll point out the
browsable version for now.   Note that this is bleeding-edge code, though
it's probably more stable than most CVS code.

Go here:

http://code.open-bio.org/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/bioperl-live/

At the bottom of the web page is a link to download the contents of the
repository as a tarball.  Click this link to download bioperl-live,
decompress everything, then change into the bioperl-live folder.  Type the
following, waiting between each until it is finished.

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

You will get a number of prompts after 'perl Makefile.PL' asking about
script installation, etc (not a bad idea to install the scripts).  'make
test' is optional and will probably not pass all tests (rarely does), but
it's a good idea to run it to make sure most things work properly.  If
nothing works with 'make test' you're in trouble.

Okay, so here's where I rant a bit:

Most of your questions are answered in the FAQ, the installation pages (and
links), and the HOWTO's (particularly the Beginner's HOWTO).  Googling the
mail-list also helps.  All of this is available through the Bioperl wiki,
which is a rich (and updated) source of information:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/FAQ
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_BioPerl
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTOs
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

Make sure to read my previous response to you very carefully.  There were a
few things I mentioned to you that are very important.  Also, when I
mentioned responding to the mailing list, I meant it (note that I added the
mailing list to this response).  I will not respond to you again unless it's
directly through or copied to the list in some way.

Remember, Bioperl is essentially a volunteer effort.  We really don't mind
helping out with user problems when we know the answer or can help out in
some way (or fix the problem/bug if there is one), but there needs to be a
record of the responses here so that people can search through the archives
to find answers to questions, problems, etc.  Responding to every
'bioperl-module x doesn't work, why?' query quickly gets redundant when the
potential answer is in the mail-list archives, wiki, etc.  Again, if someone
knows the answer, we will generally respond, but don't expect us to drop
everything we're doing in order to help you out. Everybody here has their
own priorities, agendas, and so on; don't be surprised if you don't get an
immediate answer to your questions.

Also, your chances of getting a response to a question are much greater by
emailing the list than through me directly (you might get an answer from
somebody using bioperl on Linux, for instance).  This is a community effort.
I would say, by far, a large percentage of the questions posted here get
some response.

My 2c

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab