[Bioperl-l] Species name validation problem

David Waner dwaner at scitegic.com
Mon Mar 27 18:24:12 UTC 2006

Yes, I meant to type Bio::Species, not Bio::Seq. Sorry for the
confusion.

My problem is that I am not calling $species->classification() directly;
I am calling Bio::Species->new(), which in turn calls classification()
which calls validate_species_name(), which then throws an exception on
some species names.  As far as I can see, there is no way to turn off
this (over-aggressive) validation in the Species constructor.

I guess that instead of this:

	$species = Bio::Species->new(-classification =>
\@classificationArray);

I could do this:

	$species = Bio::Species->new();
	$species->classification(\@classificationArray, 'no
validation');

but it would make a nicer interface to have a validation option in the
Species constructor.

- David