[Bioperl-l] Tests

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:45:51 UTC 2006

My opinion: tests should cover methods and expected results and are based on
what the module actually accomplishes.  Some classes (like SeqIO, SearchIO)
are normally relatively easy to build tests for b/c the expected results are
in the file being parsed.  Tests which check calculated results from modules
(Bio::Align::DNAStatictics for instance) I would think are trickier since
you should confirm the calculations are correct through independent means.

Links:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Advanced_BioPerl#Designing_Good_Tests

http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/Test-Simple-0.62/lib/Test/Tutorial.pod

The link above uses Test::Simple or Test::More; we use Test (but have
considered moving to Test::More using Devel::Cover).

My 2c

Chris