[Bioperl-l] Perl 6 hacking was YAPC anyone?

Bernhard Schmalhofer Bernhard.Schmalhofer at biomax.com
Wed Jun 21 16:25:50 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> Speaking of Perl6, there was interest here at one point in getting a
> bioperl-experimental going, which at this point in the game should involve
> Perl6.  If there were enough interest in it we could probably get it set up
> via CVS and moving along.  We might need to split the Perl6 stuff from Perl5
> experimental modules in some way to prevent confusion (bioperl6-live???),
> though I'm not up to speed Perl6-wise so I'm not sure about namespace
> collisions and so on.

As far as I understood it, the plan is to have a very smooth migration
path from Perl 5 to Perl 6. You start with plain old Perl 5 code. When
new stuff is coming along, or when refactoring is done, you drop in

   use v6;

or

   use v6-pugs;

and contiue with Perl 6. See http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/lib/v6.pm
or Audrey Tangs presentation at the Nordic Perl Workshop:
http://pugs.blogs.com/talks/npw06-deploying-perl6.pdf.
So I would argue against having a completely seperate Perl6 experimental
repository.

> bioperl-experimental would be, like the name implies, a sort of testing
> ground for ideas (good and bad).  It seemed like it was going to take off a
> few years ago but it lost steam, I'm guess.
>
> As for your parsers, would you build them from the ground up (i.e. from
> Bio::Root::Root on up)?

I'm just a casual Bio::Perl user and never hacked on any internals. So I
don't know whether the current Bio::Perl framework is a good fit.

The idea that is floating in my mind is to make a showcase of Perl 6
parsing, by tackling the various sequences and alignment formats.
So this would involve shopping around for the cleanest parser
implementations and porting that to Perl6.

Which repository to use is more a question of social engineering.
Are there more Pugs/Perl6 hackers interested in cool biological hacking,
or biologist aching to try out Perl6?

Regards,
   Bernhard Schmalhofer

Dipl.-Physiker Bernhard Schmalhofer