[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes (Chris Fields)

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Fri Jul 28 13:01:44 UTC 2006

Gabriel Valiente wrote:

> I've been using Bio::Taxonomy

Can I ask how you've been using it?

> and Bio::DB::Taxonomy a lot, they are
> very useful modules. Whatever Bio::Taxon or Bio::Taxonomy::Taxon
> turns out to be, please do keep the Bio::DB::Taxonomy functionality.

Bio::DB::Taxonomy is staying virtually unaltered.

> BTW, does anybody know how to include branch lengths in
> Bio::DB::Taxonomy?

At the moment, you don't 'include' anything at all in the DB modules
yourself, since they are read-only. They give you Nodes which you can
alter afterwards.

I plan to add something like a 'distance to parent' in Node (Bio::Taxon)
so you can work out branch lengths; you can't do that yet.