[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 19:18:00 UTC 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Chris Fields wrote:

> Once this is all done, will we really have a need for Bio::Species?

No, except for backwards compatibility. Phasing it out will go over a
couple of releases. E.g., v1.6.x could have deprecation warning in
the documentation. v1.7+ would have deprecation warnings in the code
written to stderr.

Just as an aside, we can't just drastically change the return type of
a method. Instead, if at all possible, there should be a new method
so that the old can be phased out over time but otherwise not
changed. I.e., don't change $seq->species() to now all of a sudden
return a node or taxonomic lineage, even if initially Bio::Species is
returned with some magic under the hood. Instead, create something like

	# return a Bio::Taxonomy::Node:
	my $taxon = $seq->taxon();

	# alternative approach: return a lineage (taxonomy)
	# this would be Bio::TaxonomyI compliant
	my $lineage = $seq->lineage();

The former would require the lineage (and organelle for completeness)
information to be either easily (though not necessarily directly)
accessible through the node, or added as annotation.

	-hilmar