[Bioperl-l] SearchIO HOWTO

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 19 14:44:30 UTC 2006

The information in that table is referring to the BLAST report example
before the table itself.  However, I can tell you that using that report
works (sorry if the text wrapping here mangles the output), so the table
information is erroneous.  I'll do some updating on that.

Chris

Here's the script:

use Bio::SearchIO;
use Bio::AlignIO;

my $parser = Bio::SearchIO->new (-file => shift @ARGV,
                                 -format => 'blast');

my $aln_out = Bio::AlignIO->new(-fh   => \*STDOUT,
                                -format => 'clustalw');

while (my $result = $parser->next_result) {
    while (my $hit = $result->next_hit) {
        while (my $hsp = $hit->next_hsp) {
            $aln_out->write_aln($hsp->get_aln);
        }
    }
}

Output (via STDOUT):

CLUSTAL W(1.81) multiple sequence alignment

gi|20521485|dbj|AP004641.2/2896-3051
DMGRCSSGCNRYPEPMTPDTMIKLYREKEGLGAYIWMPTPDMSTEGRVQMLP
gb|443893|124775/197-246
DIVQNSSGCNRYPEPMTPDTMIKLYRE-EGL-AYIWMPTPDMSTEGRVQMLP