[Bioperl-l] BLOSUM matrix

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 17 04:51:20 UTC 2006

Hmm, beginner programmer, wants to learn perl?  Here are some
directions:

http://learn.perl.org/

Start with Schwartz's latest incarnation of Learning Perl, then work
your way up to Intermediate Perl (I think Mastering Perl is on the
horizon...)

For some pointers using Perl and bioinformatics, pick up Tisdall's
books Beginning/Mastering Perl for Bioinformatics.

This is really a list for bioperl, not perl and bioinformatics
(thought the two cross here all the time!).  We normally don't mind
answering questions but we typically don't do people's homework
unless we're unusually bored.  And we can be excessively cranky when
someone repeatedly posts requests for something that shouldn't take
much reading and Googling to find out.  Again, we're not into that
homework gig, i.e. 'walking you through it' is tantamount to 'doing
it for you.'

1)  Arrays and how to use them are in Learning Perl; there are
probably better ways to do this than an array, though...
2)  Use Torsten's link to get you started.

Chris