[Bioperl-l] Get nucleotide sequence when expecting protein from genpept

Frederick Partridge frederick.partridge at st-johns.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jul 11 21:23:28 UTC 2006

I am trying to retrieve various protein sequences from genpept using
get_Seq_by_acc. All of them work ok, except one T16005:

If I try and retrieve it with a reduced program:

#!usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

use Bio::Perl;
use Bio::SeqIO;

my $genpept = new Bio::DB::GenPept;

my $seq = $genpept->get_Seq_by_acc('T16005');

print ($seq->seq(),'\n');

I get back a nucleotide sequence, which is another sequence at NCBI with
the same accession number. (I thought these were meant to be unique? but
evidently not.)

I am using bioperl 1.5.1, perl 5.8.1, Mac OS 10.3

Could anyone help me to get this protein sequence with my program?

Many thanks,

Freddie Partridge

University of Oxford