[Bioperl-l] 1 small help with WU-BLAST -postsw

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Sat Jan 21 15:38:23 UTC 2006

if you are really using Hit->frac_aligned I wouldn't rely on the Hit
object frac_aligned - deal with the HSPs and calculate what you want
- if there are multiple HSPs after a postsw some of those could be
overalapping alternative sub-optimal alignments I don't know what
thethe Hit object algorithm does when it tries to merge these examples.

My best advice is
  - find concrete examples of A,B and B,A pairs that doesn't meet
your filter
  - print out the HSP information and LOOK at the HSPs and calculate
the expected numbers by hand to figure out what is going on
  - there are going to be comparisons where it is ambiguous what
would you do BY HAND for these cases, ignore them because they are
the 5th best hit? take the longest HSP?   try and
    calculate overall coverage?
  - calculate frac aligned per HSP, decide what you want to do when
there are multiple HSPs, take the longest, attempt to figure out some
overall coverage, it all depends on your
  question if you are trying to find a single number
  - $hit_HSP_frac_aligned = $hsp->hit->length / $hit->length

Good luck.
-jason

--
Jason Stajich