[Bioperl-l] Is it worth it?

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 27 15:42:54 UTC 2006

I'd put I slightly different emphasis on this: obviously most of
those in the field can't have a degree in bioinformatics because such
degree programs haven't been around for all that long. One shouldn't
conclude that graduate programs are therefore somehow less relevant.
To successfully apply for a paid job, you need credentials for your
ability to be productive.

Credentials can come from open source projects IF you can document
the scope and quality of your contributions.

Credentials can come from a graduate degree IF your thesis appears
relevant, original and well executed.

Credentials can come from peer-reviewed publications.

Credentials can come from personal references of collaborators.

Regards,
B.