[Bioperl-l] Blast returns result, but does not return hits

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 23 18:06:37 UTC 2006

Hold up a second.  Do you mean e-value, or p-value?  A run-of-the-mill NCBI
blast report these days gives e-values (expectation value), NOT p-values.  I
think they changed over to using only e-values with BLAST v2.  Make sure you
didn't mix these up; look out the text output to make sure that P values are
present.  That would explain why you're getting 0, since they don't exist.

>From the BLAST tutorial:

The BLAST programs report E-value rather than P-values because it is easier
to understand the difference between, for example, E-value of 5 and 10 than
P-values of 0.993 and 0.99995. However, when E < 0.01, P-values and E-value
are nearly identical.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry