[Bioperl-l] Fetching genomic sequences based on HUGO names or GeneIDs

Brian Osborne osborne1 at optonline.net
Thu Feb 16 16:27:13 UTC 2006

Harry,

I've long suspected, but never demonstrated, that the easiest way to do
something like this is through ENSEMBL, and Jason hinted at this as well. In
fact your question is something of a FAQ, and my previous responses always
included a plea to some anonymous ENSEMBL API expert, always unheeded. At
any rate, here is an example script I made:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;

use lib "/Users/bosborne/ensembl/modules";

use DBI;

use Getopt::Long;

use Bio::EnsEMBL::DBSQL::DBAdaptor;

my $name;

GetOptions( "n=s" => \$name );

my $db = Bio::EnsEMBL::DBSQL::DBAdaptor->new(
-user   => "anonymous",

-dbname => "homo_sapiens_core_37_35j",

-host   => "ensembldb.ensembl.org",

-pass   => "",

-driver => 'mysql'

);

my $gene_adaptor = $db->get_GeneAdaptor;

my $slice_adaptor = $db->get_SliceAdaptor;

my @genes = @{$gene_adaptor->fetch_all_by_external_name($name)};

for my $gene (@genes) {

  for my $trans (@{$gene->get_all_Transcripts}) {

      my $seq = $slice_adaptor->fetch_by_region("chromosome",

             $trans->seq_region_name,

             $trans->start,

             $trans->end);

      print "\n",$seq->seq,"\n";

  }

}

There are some issues, the largest of which is that though this script
prints out big sequences it's completely untested! Another is that it makes
assumptions about transcripts, you should verify for yourself that ENSEMBL's
definition of transcript fits yours. Finally that
fetch_all_by_external_name() method does not seem to accept a second
argument, i.e. namespace. I found this surprising. Anyway, if more than one
gene is retrieved using some name or id you're in a quandary.

For more on this API see:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/software/core/core_tutorial.html

There are tons of modules and methods in this API, I've barely scratched the
surface here.

Brian O.