[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ontology::Ontology

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Feb 10 21:39:39 UTC 2006

Sohel,

please allow me to copy the list in my response. There's many good and
insightful people on the list who may have something to add or
different ideas.

I've come across that problem myself, for instance with InterPro. What
I've done so far simply is to stick it unstructured into the definition
slot, which is not helpful if your purpose goes further than just
displaying it in an unstructured fashion.

I'm not sure you would want to create another class for this (like
AnnotatedOntology). One could make Bio::Ontology::Ontology (i.e., the
implementation, probably not the interface) annotatable (i.e.,
implement Bio::Annotatable), which supposedly would be simple to do
(AnnotationCollection is already implemented, you'd just return an
instance of it).

Even though tag/value pairs sound like quick&fast way to go I'm leaning
against it; in essence we're moving away from that elsewhere
(SeqFeatureI) and hence I don't think we should restart it here.

I'm not giving a definitive answer here, just my (initial) thoughts.
Hope that helps nonetheless. Can you fancy yourself trying the
Annotatable approach and let us know how it goes?

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org