[Bioperl-l] Running BLAT with BioPerl

Victor victor.ruotti at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:09:16 UTC 2006

Hi Jason,
Well, in my env. BLATDIR was not setup at all. When setting BLATDIR to
/usr/local/bin, I get the same problem. I think this might have to do with
the _run internal method/sub. If you look at that subroutine, you'll see
that it is using both $self->executable and $self->program_name. The test
passes fine, but we might need to write a better test for this particular
case.

Instead of saying:
     my $str= Bio::Root::IO->catfile($self->executable,$self->program_name);
I think the author meant to say:
     my $str=
Bio::Root::IO->catfile($self->program_dir,$self->program_name);

I quickly used Data::Dumper on both executate and program_name and this is
what I get:
$VAR1 = 'blat';
$VAR1 = 'blat';

So the path is hardcoded to be /usr/local/bin/blat/blat when calling run
though factory.

I'd like to change the constructor a bit to deal with the params a little
better and include a config file using
Config::General. Also, I noticed that there is a another Blat.pm module, a
parser module. Should we integrate this parser with the blat run module?

Brian/Jason. Does that sound like a good idea?

Victor