[Bioperl-l] needle parser in bioperl?

Fairley, Derek Derek.Fairley at bll.n-i.nhs.uk
Thu Dec 14 17:58:10 UTC 2006

Neeti,

>From http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/cvs/needle.html:

"The results can be output in one of several styles by using the
command-line qualifier -aformat xxx, where 'xxx' is replaced by the name
of the required format. Some of the alignment formats can cope with an
unlimited number of sequences, while others are only for pairs of
sequences.

The available multiple alignment format names are: unknown, multiple,
simple, fasta, msf, trace, srs

The available pairwise alignment format names are: pair, markx0, markx1,
markx2, markx3, markx10, srspair, score

See: http://emboss.sf.net/docs/themes/AlignFormats.html for further
information on alignment formats."

Not sure based on this whether you can get pairwise alignment in .msf
format; can't think of a good reason why not. The BioPerl Align::IO
module will allow you to parse alignments in .msf format.

HTH,

Derek.