[Bioperl-l] SearchIO speed up

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Aug 18 13:52:54 UTC 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 3:00 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong about that - is it reasonable to just come up with a
> whole new system for returning the results, and have users learn to
> use
> the new system?

My take on this is that if you know your input format and you know
how to use perl regular expressions and you need only some small
pieces out of a report or sequence file and you just need this quick,
then you might as well set Bioperl aside and do a straight perl one-off.

I.e., I don't think Bioperl, or any other toolkit that as its main
benefits offers a consistent API, object model, tried-and-tested
parsers, etc, should try to be the natural choice for a use case when
you don't need any of these benefits.

	-hilmar