[Bioperl-l] Extracting gene seq from Bio::DB::GFF

Marco Blanchette mblanche at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 11 21:36:27 UTC 2006

Many thanks Scott,

At the same time I got your email I was coming to the same conclusion as
you.

Now I have a stranger problem in my hands... My goal is quite simple, I try
to get the sequence of the genes back from the Bio::DB::GFF database loaded
on MySQL. The gene list is from a file with one gene id per per line. When I
run the following script:

use Bio::DB::GFF;
use Bio::SeqIO;
my $out = Bio::SeqIO->new(    -fh => \*STDOUT,
                            -format => 'fasta');
my $db = Bio::DB::GFF->new( -adaptor => 'dbi::mysql',
                              -dsn => 'dbi:mysql:database=dmel_43_new');

while (<>){
    chomp;
    my $id = $_;
    my @feats = $db->get_feature_by_name($id);
    for my $f (@feats){
        $out->write_seq( $f->seq ) if $f->type =~/gene/;
    }
}

I get more sequence back than the number of gene in my input file. I double
check there. Some of the duplicated entries are the same, some are not!

I double check and none of the the duplicated entry in the output are having
duplicated "gene" entry in the original gff files that I just loaded in the
MySQL database using bp_bulk_load_gff.pl.

Any one as an idea as to what is going with my script?

Marco

Marco Blanchette, Ph.D.

mblanche at uclink.berkeley.edu

Donald C. Rio's lab