[Bioperl-l] XML parser preference?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 9 23:29:36 UTC 2006

Rob,

There seems to be a general shift away from using the older XML::Parser and
XML::DOM parsers towards XML::SAX and XML::Twig as the former two are not
under active development.  For SAX parsing, we seem to be moving in the
direction of XML::SAX (the recent transition of SearchIO::blastxml was the
start).  However, nothing has been done for tree-like (DOM) parsing.

In fact, both the XML::DOM and XML::Twig docs recommend XML::LibXML over
XML::DOM.  However, XML::LibXML isn't used AFAIK in Bioperl, and I think
it's more of a burden to use that.

Grr...I wish I had checked bioperl dependencies before I started!

Chris