[Bioperl-l] XML parser preference?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 9 23:21:39 UTC 2006

Brian,

The main reason I chose XML::Simple is that I wanted something
up-and-running ASAP; the chunks of XML normally are small and not too
complex, but for esearch/elink they can be quite long).  The problem I
foresee is we currently have prereq's for the following XML parsers:

XML::SAX
XML::Parser
XML::DOM
XML::Twig

which various modules use (this doesn't include the XML writers, either).

I didn't think it was a good idea to lump yet another prereq on top of
those.  Anyway, I can always replace the backend XML parser along the way as
long as the front-end API is the same.  Which reminds me, I need to work on
that...

Chris