[Bioperl-l] Database Retrieval

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Aug 9 00:03:45 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> My main concern is 'turning people off' who want to contribute to Bioperl by
> having a Bioperl developer (1) impose a deadline, and (2) indicate that they
> will take things over if the deadline isn't reached.  That is, in essence,
> what Sendu has done.

My intent was to make clear you didn't have to do everything yourself,
that help was available. I offered a solution to the deadline. If you're
more comfortable working solo, that's entirely understandable. In which
case another solution to the deadline is the one you already offered: to
push it back or not have one.

You offered your solution, I offered mine, we pick one and move on.
Simple :)

> Sendu never indicates why this can't wait a few extra weeks, just that he'll
> dive in and do it himself anyway, regardless of what we think.

As Hilmar supposed, I have my own deadlines; tying in with getting 1.5.5
promptly out the door and inclusive of this proposal was icing on the
cake. It's not the end of the world; if you both are interested in the
work and want to see it through to the end without help, that's super. I
look forward to being able to use the code in the future. It just means
I'll have to make other plans, so would like to know one way or the
other toward the end of this month.

Cheers,
Sendu.