[Bioperl-l] About RNA representations in Bioperl

Christopher Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 5 23:51:28 EDT 2005

I am using a few programs to scan genome sequences for potential sites for
RNA-binding proteins.  I want to get these into GFF format for eventual import
into a mySQL database for GBrowse in order to map the hits against CDS and
predicted rho-independent terminators in bacterial genomes.  For the moment, I
plan on either using
Bio::SeqFeature::Generic (they are pretty simple matches to sequences, much
like tRNAscan-SE or BLAST, with start, stop, score, and strand information) or
creating my own class inheriting from Bio::SeqFeature::Generic.  However, these
regions are protein-binding regions on RNA, not DNA (much like a ribosome-
binding site).  Should I just use misc_bind or protein_bind as a feature label and
not worry about it?

I asked a similar question recently, which about what SO term would be
appropriate.  However, I am trying to start out with a simple approach first and
then get into the details (like secondary structures, free energies, etc), so any
information would be helpful (and greatly appreciated).

Chris Fields