[Bioperl-l] Please help

Barry Moore bmoore at genetics.utah.edu
Thu Oct 13 23:01:16 EDT 2005

Angshu-

Brain is right, you need to read the documentation and ask a more
specific question on the list.  I'll suggest a few extra modules for you
to study along with the ones Brian told you about.  Look for the non-bio
modules on CPAN http://search.cpan.org/.  BTW, the project you've
described and the modules that you will need to use will be a challenge
to jump straight into if you've never used perl at all before.  You will
almost certainly want to start by reading some introductory and
intermediate perl books (or the free perl documentation)  The standard
books for perl beginners is Learning Perl by Randal Schwartz et al. and
the standard perl Bible is Programming Perl by Larry Wall et al.  You
will want read at least the first one and have the second one handy as
you jump into the documentation below.

DBI, DBD::Pg and perhaps Class::DBI - For perl communicating with your
database.
Bio::SeqIO - For reading your sequences into Bioperl
Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::Clustalw - For aligning your sequences
Bio::AlignIO::clustalw - For simple writing of the alignments.

Depending on what you had in mind for scoring you may have to write your
own code for that and the histogram display.  Look at the GD module for
your graphics needs.  You mention several times that you want to display
your results, and I'm going to guess you mean via a web site.  I think
CGI::Application is a great way to build the kind of database driven
websites that I think you are considering here.

Barry