[Bioperl-l] Proposal for AI methods in Bioperl

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Wed Oct 12 03:05:18 EDT 2005

Hi all,

As far as I know, there aren't any modules in Bioperl providing access
to Artificial Intelligence (AI) methods such as neural networks, genetic
algorithms, cellular automata, among others.

At the moment, I'm interested in developing some interface for using
genetic algorithms. By using the interface, users could access these
methods for generating optimized schemes based on sets of homologous
sequences. I think that the generated results could be a nice
alternative for motif/pattern searching in diverse novel sequences
(instead of regular expressions, HMM's and other methods). What do you
think?

Any guidance would be really helpful. If you know of any external
application that you can recomend for using with the interface, a
suggested location in the code tree, etc., please let me know. I've
thought of something like a Bio::AI family that can be included in the
bioperl-live or maybe as a bioperl-ai package. I'm open to all kind of
thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mauricio.
--
MAURICIO HERRERA CUADRA
arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Laboratorio de Genética
Unidad de Morfofisiología y Función
Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, UNAM