[Bioperl-l] bioperl-db and MySQL

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Nov 18 03:50:19 EST 2005

On Nov 17, 2005, at 1:24 PM, chen li wrote:

> Hi Hilmar,
>
> I ran "make test" but it still failed.

Please post the error message; generally it should not fail.

>  But I were able
> to create a biosql instance within MySQL (same as
> those described in mysql HOWTO) after I loaded the
> schema of seqdatabase.spl. So I think I might succeed
> in installing Bioperl-db.  Now I want to go to the
> next step: loading a test EST database file(fasta
> format)into the database. I already download the mouse
> EEST, unzip  the file, and put it as
> c:/perl/EST/est_mouse( and
> C:/bioperl-db-0.1/scripts/load_seqdatabase.pl).

This looks like you are using the old 0.1 release. You will need a
post-Capetown/pre-Singapore BioSQL schema in order for this to work -
the current download from CVS will *not* work with this release.

I recommend you use a CVS download for both the BioSQL schema and
Bioperl-db, using the main trunk in both cases.

> By
> following HOWTO I am supposed to the use syntax below
> to load the file into databse.
>
> ./load_seqdatabase.pl <options> <dataset identifier>
> /path/to/data/file(s)
>
> My questions: in which windows should I type this line
> of command, mysql,Perl,or the directory containing
> load_seqdatabase.pl?

Given that you are calling the script as sitting in the current
directory, that's where you should be ... Generally speaking you can
call it from anywhere though, just give the full location.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org