[Bioperl-l] Installation problems: "unable to remap"

Jonathan Arthur jarthur at med.usyd.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 23:20:51 EST 2005

Hello all,

I am having difficulty installing BioPerl. I am running Windows XP
Professional with cygwin. I am using the CPAN installer to attempt to
install the Bundle::BioPerl modules.

The installation appears to go relatively smoothly and end normally. It
does note at the end that there were installation problems with
File::Spec, GD::SVG, and Data::Stag. Nonetheless, when I try to "use
Bio::Perl"  Perl cannot find the module and exploring /usr/lib confirms
the modules are not present.

I then tried installing the problem modules above on the assumption that
the final installation of Bio::Perl was dependent on these modules being
successfully installed. The creation of the makefile for GD::SVG dies with:

C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe (800): *** unable to remap
c:\cygwin\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll to same address as parent(0xE100000) !=
0xEA0000

Data::Stag installation experiences a similar error (with different
.dll) when trying to install the Tk dependency.

File::Spec installation appears to install fine (bar some failed tests
because it can't load File::Spec::VMS) and it is present in
/usr/lib/perl5 so it is not clear what the cpan installation is
complaining about in regard to this module.

Could anyone assist with these installation problems?

Regards,

Jonathan

--
Dr Jonathan Arthur