[Bioperl-l] ribosome binding sites (RBS)

Genevieve DeClerck gad14 at cornell.edu
Thu May 26 17:03:42 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm looking for the right bioperl class to use to describe ribosome
binding site (RBS) features in a bacterial genome.

The closest thing I could find is Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::UTR, but it
seems that this is too broad for my needs because, as I understand, an
untranslated region (a 5' UTR) can contain more than one type of
untranslated feature. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'll
need to create an "RBS" class. I'm thinking that it will need to inherit
from Bio::SeqFeature::Generic. Inheriting from
Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::UTR wouldn't make sense because a UTR *has* RBS's
- RBS's are not UTRs.

Has anyone else described/instantiated RBS's with bioperl?

Any comments or insight would be appreciated.

(I'm still getting my sea legs with bioperl and with navigating all of
what's in bioperl.. I'm not always sure if I'm overlooking something or
if it just hasn't been developed yet.)

Thanks,
Genevieve